Achieve Success in English-Speaking Society
There are some simple ways to know whether your accent is standing between you and your success in an English-speaking society.
- Are you often misunderstood?
- Do people frequently ask you to repeat yourself?
- Do you feel that people are focusing more on your accent than on what you are saying?
- Do you fear that your accent is standing in the way of getting the job you want, or from being promoted at your present job?
- Do you feel embarrassed and upset when people have difficulty understanding you?
Learn Clear Effective Speech
Many people study English for years and have no difficulty reading or writing in English but they have problems speaking because:
- Their teachers spoke with a strong accent themselves
- They didn’t have enough opportunities to practice speaking English
- They never mastered the “tricky” aspects of English, where there are different ways to pronounce vowel sounds, and the letters in some words are silent
- English has many “exceptions” to pronunciation rules, which can be confusing
Goals of Accent Modification
The most important goals of accent modification are speaking English with improved pronunciation and being clearly understood by others. While retaining the charm of your native accent, you will be able to:
- Be more easily understood at work and at school
- Enhance your social communication
- Achieve greater professional advancement
- Build self-confidence
Who Can Benefit?
- Non-native English speakers
- Native English speakers who wish to reduce a regional accent
- Business professionals who wish to improve communication skills with colleagues, clients, on the phone, and in presentations
- Physicians and medical staff seeking better communication with patients and colleagues
- Individuals seeking career advancement and promotions
- Professors and educators who want to communicate more effectively
- Actors hoping to achieve more diverse roles